Monday, September 2, 2013

Celebrating Labor Day

Labor Day. A national holiday set aside to salute the working men and women. A day to be thankful for your job. We celebrate the day by not working! (Sounds a little oxymoronic, to me)! Millions of people have the day off work, and I think I saw all of them on the freeway last Friday. Not sure where they were going, only that they seemed in quite a hurry to get there.

I'm pretty sure the idea of a holiday is supposed to be a chance to slow down, to regroup, and a time to relax. At least that's what I've been told. Rest and relaxation. But judging by the angst and frustration of many of the drivers I encountered, that is just a fanciful notion. Apparently, Americans are far too busy, and far too rushed, to take the time to slow down. I can understand. I usually feel the same way. There are a lot of things to do and not nearly enough time to do them.

This particular holiday seems to have a certain added sense of urgency. Being the last holiday of the summer, it will then be back to work, or school, or whatever else it is that occupies everyone's time. One last hurrah! One last trip to the lake, or the mountains, or to the beach. One last mini-vacation.

These things are all fun no doubt, but the typical holiday is a far cry from rest and relaxation. Most people would probably feel less tired and less stressed if they didn't have the day off. Oh, but that's not the American way. It's not our tradition. We take holidays off.

It's nice that many employers have accepted and embraced the practice. But unfortunately, some companies do not participate. As in, the place where I'm employed. Which is why, while most of you are enjoying the day, free from your work-related responsibilities; while you're busy camping, fishing, boating, or whatever your activity of choice, I'll be keeping up my normal routine; celebrating the day - by working!

Happy Labor Day!


Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books. Over My Dead Body, The Journey, and Miscarriage Of Justice, and other titles, are available as ebooks on Apple I-Pad®, Amazon Kindle®, Barnes & Noble Nook® and Sony Reader®, Kobo, Diesel Books, and Smashwords. His books are also available in print at most online retailers or at www.bruceabordersbooks.weebly.com. The popular Wynn Garrett Series Books are now available on Barnes And Noble® at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?series_id=867526 See Bruce’s Smashwords Profile at www.smashwords.com/profile/view/BruceABorders #MiscarriageOfJustice #BruceABorders

No comments:

Post a Comment