Monday, September 9, 2013

Back To School

Normally, you wouldn’t think the first day of going back to school would involve the police. But, of course, I’m not exactly normal. This wasn’t due to a fight, or drugs, or anything mischievous. I did nothing against school rules at all. In fact, I didn’t even have a chance to actually make it to school.

Usually, I rode my bike, but due to my bicycle having a severe addiction to flat tires, this day, I was walking. We lived about three miles from the school - if I took the city roads. So instead, I chose the freeway, which cut it down to under two miles. Just my luck, a state cop happened by. He wasn’t all that excited about seeing a teenager strolling down the shoulder of the highway, and felt it necessary to tell me so. My choice was a poor decision, he said. Apparently, I was in great danger of being ran over.

Well, I wasn’t all that excited about seeing him either. And, I “politely” informed him that the only one who had even come close to hitting me was the guy driving the car with flashing lights. Needless to say, I didn’t score any points with him. He seemed to think I should find a different route. And, he said if he saw me walking to school on the freeway again, I’d be in trouble.

He left and I continued on to school - on the freeway, of course.

At the end of the school day, I set out for home. Being stubborn, as I was, (still am) I again headed down the freeway. And again, the same cop pulled up behind me, lights flashing. I guess he’d been waiting for me.

“Didn’t I tell you I didn’t want to see you walking on the freeway again?”

“Actually, what you said was if you saw me walking to school, I’d be in trouble,” I told him. “I’m walking home now.”

Rolling his eyes, he shook his head. Maybe he was thinking how stupid I was, I don’t know, but I saw a brief flicker of a smile come across his face. “Just get home and don’t walk on the freeway anymore,” he said, getting back into his car.

Surprisingly, I listened. Well, at least until my bike suffered another bout with it’s addiction.


Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books. Over My Dead Body, The Journey, and Miscarriage Of Justice, and other titles, are available as ebooks on Apple I-Pad®, Amazon Kindle®, Barnes & Noble Nook® and Sony Reader®, Kobo, Diesel Books, and Smashwords. His books are also available in print at most online retailers or at www.bruceabordersbooks.weebly.com. The popular Wynn Garrett Series Books are now available on Barnes And Noble® at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?series_id=867526 See Bruce’s Smashwords Profile at www.smashwords.com/profile/view/BruceABorders #MiscarriageOfJustice #BruceABorders

No comments:

Post a Comment