Monday, May 8, 2017

Not Exactly A Star Student

A clear night. Bright moon. I’m out on the deck looking up at the stars and remembering when I was a kid. I used to lie on the ground and stare up at the stars, trying to find things in the giant dot to dot in the sky. I was never very good at seeing the real constellations, so I made up my own. I saw all sorts of things; animals, faces, furniture, and cars. Once I even discovered a house complete with windows, a chimney, and trees.

Then I made the mistake of mentioning my findings at school. Most of my friends were uninterested in what I saw and ignored me. But my teacher thought had to set me straight. Apparently, only those constellations that had long been established were viable constellations. The things I saw in the sky were nothing and due to an overactive imagination.

Of course, I argued that at one time even the established constellations had been someone’s imagination. But it was no use; my teacher maintained that those constellations had been discovered by legitimate astronomers, people who had devoted their life to the study of the stars. And those constellations were actual groupings of stars with meaning and a purpose.

As luck would have it, later in the year, we had a short study on constellations. We learned that most of the constellations got their names from the common things people thought they looked like—or characters from mythology. The last part was what I chose to focus on.

“So, they are named after myths?” I asked. “As in something not real?”

“Yes.”

“And you think I have an overactive imagination?”

I don’t think my teacher was impressed with my questions. But she must have realized it would be a losing argument. She quickly finished up and moved on. When we got our papers back from that day, I took mine up to her desk to discuss my grade.

The teacher looked confused. “You got an ‘A,’ what more do you want?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know, a gold star?” 

No, she still wasn't amused. ~

Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million. Bruce A. Borders is a proud member of Rave Reviews Book Club.

______________________________


Current Reads





No comments:

Post a Comment