Monday, May 22, 2017

Color Correction

On my travels this week, I noticed the mountains were turning brown. Finally! With all the rain we’ve had around here this spring, the place was starting to look like Ireland! That’s fine, I suppose—if you’re in Ireland. Where I live, not so much. Green just doesn’t look right for what is supposed to be an arid climate. Instead of forty shades of green, we have forty shades of brown—usually.

So, it’s nice that things are starting to dry out. Although, there is still plenty of green to be seen. But I figure another couple of weeks and that will be gone. I hope. It’s past time for the weather to get back to normal. At least in my never-to-be-humble opinion.

Of course, there is always someone to disagree with my opinion.

The other day, I overheard a guy in the store complaining about how dry the ground was getting. Apparently, his grass has all died. I was thinking, Yeah, that’s why we water our lawns. But I didn’t say anything. Surprising, I know. But sometimes I figure it’s no use to speak up. Especially, when the guy wasn’t talking to me.

Turns out, I didn’t have to say anything, though. Someone else did. And then, after listening a bit more, I found out the guy had recently moved here, and didn’t know what our summers were like. And evidently, he wasn’t too fond of the prospect of having to water his grass as he kept voicing his objection to the idea.

One of the guys he was talking with said, “You don’t HAVE to water the lawn. You can always let it burn up or put in rocks.”

“Or move back to where you came from,” another voice said. (No the voice wasn’t mine, although it does sound like something I would say.)

“I’d rather it just wasn’t so dry here, the newcomer said.

“If you think it’s dry now, just wait a couple of months,” another person said.

I still didn’t say anything but I was wondering how could the guy not have known what the climate was like? Did he move here without knowing anyone in the area? Possibly. But then, wouldn’t he have seen pictures of the place? Shouldn’t he have maybe read up on things? Perhaps at some point in his moving preparation shouldn’t he have checked out the place to where he was moving? Even if he hadn’t done any of that, he could have just looked around. There are a lot of yards with only rocks. Or he could’ve taken a look at the surrounding landscape, that should’ve been a clue. Oh, wait–

That’s when I remembered. And I guess I should cut him a little slack. After all, the place has looked a lot like Ireland this spring. ~

Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million. Bruce A. Borders is a proud member of Rave Reviews Book Club.

______________________________



Current Reads





No comments:

Post a Comment