Monday, July 9, 2018

Driving My Life Away

Last Friday, I completed twenty years of driving truck at my current job. Just in case anyone is wondering, that’s a LONG time. How long? Well, Clinton was President when I started working there. Google did not yet exist. Neither did YouTube. Or Facebook. Or Twitter. And while cell phones existed, most people did not have one. Same goes for the Internet.

A lot has changed at my job since I first started driving there. The most notable change is that most of the people who worked at the place are now gone. Out of the more than a hundred employees in 1998, only a handful are left. And yet, the job is still pretty much the same; I drive, and drive, and then drive some more. I’ve logged nearly three million miles since that first day. And that’s just in the semi, which doesn’t count the 130 miles I commute.

I’ve been asked how I can stand to drive so much and the answer is simple; when I went to work there, I didn’t set out to drive three million miles, or even one million. I just drove, one mile at a time—for a few hours at a time. The hours turned to days, the days turned to weeks, then to months and years. Easy, right?

Of course, I was a lot younger back then, twenty years younger to be exact. Good thing the job isn’t hard, huh? No matter what some people claim, driving a truck is really not something that takes a lot of effort. The most difficult part of the job is staying awake, which does seem to be a little tougher the older I get.

Speaking of staying awake, I’ve noticed it’s far easier to do if I get more sleep. My typical four to five hours per night, which is what I’ve slept most of my life, just doesn’t cut it anymore. So, I think I’ll wrap up this post and maybe go to bed—since in a few hours it’ll be time to start year number twenty-one at my job. Yay! ~


Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million. 

No comments:

Post a Comment