Monday, July 23, 2018

An Exciting Week


It’s been an interesting and eventful week. First, my town made the national news due to a major fire. Not a good way to make the news but then most news isn’t exactly good news. Thing is we have fires a lot, being that it’s hot and dry here most of the summer. But a fire usually doesn’t make it any farther than the local news.

Speaking of hot and dry, we finally got some decent weather; temperatures in the triple digits, humidity in the single digits—just the way I like it! I know, I know. Most people are not happy with that kind of weather, but as a guy who absolutely detests winter, I love it when summer actually arrives.

Toward the latter part of the week, I came upon a roll over accident on the freeway. A pickup towing a camping trailer blocked the road for a few hours as both were on their side and across both lanes. I was not affected by the road closure since it was on the opposite of the freeway than the direction I was traveling. But I did go by and see it, just minutes, or maybe seconds, after it happened. I saw other drivers rushing to help the driver of the pickup get out.

Speaking of driving, after nine months of the semi I normally drive being in the shop, I got it back last week. Interestingly enough, it went into the shop, back in early November, to have a radio installed. That was completed in a day or so, however, for nine long months the truck developed one major problem after another. Every time the mechanics would fix something, another issue showed up. The good news is it now runs great! The bad news is, the radio doesn’t really work like it’s supposed to. But I guess that’s to be expected, life being full of the irony that it is.

Moving on to the weekend, I was commissioned, or drafted, or shanghaied—actually, I think I was just asked and I agreed—to put a floor into my grandson’s bedroom. And that brings me to the most exciting thing about the week.

They’d just moved into the house and when I showed up to work on the floor, my grandson came bursting through the door to tell me all about the place. “Did you see the most exciting thing?” Then, without waiting for an answer, he said, “Come on, I’ll show you. It’s so exciting.”

I followed, wondering what it was that had him so, well... excited. All the way to his bedroom, he kept up his exuberant banter. When we reached the room, he stopped and said “Are you ready?” Again, without waiting for an answer, he went right on. “Tada! Here it is!”

“It” turned out to be a door. But not just any door. This door was one of those that is split in the middle, allowing you to open the top half separately. Or, as I was showed, you can lock them together and make it a single unit door. Also, as I was told, it was the “most exciting thing in the whole house.”

I agreed, it was pretty exciting. And then I set to work on the floor. Funny thing about that. One of the first steps to replacing the floor was to take the door off. I don’t think my grandson was impressed! I guess you could say he was no longer excited.

I did get the floor done and just so you know, the door is now back in place! Exciting, I know. ~


Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million.

No comments:

Post a Comment