Monday, June 11, 2018

June 13, 1987

So, this week marks thirty-one years that my wife and I have been married. While that may seem like a long time, it has flown by for me. Time flies when you’re having fun, as the saying goes. My wife may have a differing opinion.

Sometimes I miss the early days; the days when we had less but that meant fewer things about which to worry. Back when life was full of expectancy, of dreams, and, since we didn’t make a lot of money at the time; hope for the future. Now, we’re living in what was then, the future, and things are definitely better. Again, my wife may have a differing opinion.

I think we’ve done a decent job in this grand experiment called marriage; we raised three responsible and autonomous children to adulthood. We’ve managed to build a life together that others refer to as “living the good life.” And, we don’t fight or argue—much. But... my wife may have a differing opinion.

Recently, I heard about a guy who was asking how people could stand to stay married for so long; how they could handle being with the same person constantly; to live with their spouse day after day. My answer is how could you not? There is a certain tranquility and security in knowing that person is there; knowing you can depend on them. Marriage is not a chore: it’s not a drudgery; not boring, monotonous, or tiresome. At least not to me. And hopefully, not for my wife. But then, she may have a differing opinion.

I am very grateful to my wife for allowing me to be married to her—at all, really, but in light of our upcoming anniversary; especially, for thirty-one years. Thirty-one years of ups and downs; good, bad, and in-between, although mostly good. Of course, my wife may have a differing opinion.

Anyway, happy anniversary to my wife. Thanks for putting up with me for this long. I’m looking forward to another thirty-one years! (And I hope you don’t have a differing opinion on that). ~


Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million. 

No comments:

Post a Comment