Sunday, June 3, 2018

A Know-It-All?

“Grandpa, do you know everything?”

The question came from an innocent-faced four-year-old in response to a rather mundane explanation of how a lawnmower works. Nothing earth shattering, I know, but still intriguing enough to impress a young boy who’d never heard it before.

I was tempted to tell him that yes, I did indeed know everything. I resisted the urge. Besides, kids have a way of growing up and sooner or later, I knew he’d discover the truth. So, somewhat reluctantly, I admitted I did not know everything.

“But you’re 51,” he said as if that is the magical age where all knowledge is attained. Then just to clarify, he added, “You should have learned everything by now.”

“I guess I should have,” I said. “I’ve had plenty of time. But, sometimes I think the older I get, the less I know.”

My grandson gave me a pitying look. “Yeah, my mom told me about that.”

“Told you about what?”

“Old people forget things.”

True. So, maybe I DID know everything at one time—and then forgot it.

I suggested this to my grandson. Deep in thought, he slowly said, “Probably.” Then pausing for a bit, he added, “Not.”

Apparently, he has lost all confidence in me! I should have just told him that I knew everything and we could have avoided this whole thing. ~


Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million. 

No comments:

Post a Comment