Monday, March 19, 2018

Not Enough Time


This post will be a bit more serious than what I normally write. No, it’s not about politics or anything controversial, but the humorous aspect that is usually infused into my blog posts is taking a temporary vacation this week. Guess I’m just feeling a little nostalgic.

Recently, I ran across a publication with an article I’d written. This was from 18 years ago and I found that nothing much has changed in nearly two decades. What I wrote then still describes my daily routine. I’ve included some excerpts from that article below.


I’m in a hurry—again. I’m always in a hurry. From the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed at night, it seems as though there is never quite enough time to accomplish everything I’ve set out to do that day. Thus, I have become a procrastinator. Certain things deemed unimportant at the moment are relegated to that vast expanse of time known as tomorrow, a realm where the constraints of hours and minutes have not yet gotten a grasp. But of course, tomorrow is only a figment of the imagination, just a place in my mind that never actually becomes a reality. For with each new day, I must once again decide what to do and what to leave undone, until my life has developed into a pattern. A pattern which leads to giving up this to get that, trading one thing for another, sacrificing here in order to gain there and so on, all for the sake of time.

Time is the great equalizer. Each of us has been given the same amount of time. Whether young or old, rich or poor, we all have twenty-four hours in a day to achieve our goals. It’s what we do with our time that counts. What do we put off until later? What do we leave for tomorrow? And more importantly, what do we make time for?

People often use as an excuse, “I don’t have time,” which is not entirely true. We always have time for that which we have decided is of the most importance to us. If there isn’t enough time, it’s because we choose to use our time to do something else. We make time for the things really important or needful. The busiest man in the world will always have time to rush his child to the hospital in an emergency. It’s all a matter of perspective.


 After reading what I’d written, I started thinking about how I’d measured up. Had I accomplished anything in the 18 years since this article was published? Looking back, I can say that I’m somewhat satisfied with how I’ve spent my time; I’ve managed to write and publish 16 books, I’ve written over 500 songs—and recorded most of them, I’ve also recorded about three thousand other songs, painted numerous pictures, built furniture, etc. And, with a lot of help from my wife, I’ve raised three children who are autonomous adults, productive members of society, and able to function in a responsible manner. So, on the one hand, I think I’ve used my time wisely. On the other hand, there is still a lot I want to do, a lot I haven’t gotten done because, well, I didn’t make time for it all. Maybe in another 18 years, I’ll revisit the subject. Hopefully, I’ll be a little closer to attaining my goals. ~

Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million. Bruce A. Borders is a proud member of Rave Reviews Book Club.

______________________________


Current Reads






No comments:

Post a Comment