Sunday, December 10, 2017

The Way I Heard It

When I was a kid one of my favorite pastimes was lying on the floor, right next to the stereo speaker, listening to music. My mom would put on a stack of records, five or six albums, and my brother and I would stay there listening until the last song played—and then mom would turn the records over and we’d listen some more. Yes, we spent a lot of time just listening to music.

I loved the music, the singing; I loved it all. But one particular song used to bother me every time I heard it. In the song, it said “...and defeat is one word I don’t use.” What I heard though, instead of “defeat” was “the feet.” I remember always thinking that’s not one word, it’s two. And, I wondered why in the world did they say they wouldn’t use the word, or words. To make it worse, earlier in the same song, there was a line that said something about “my feet.” So, I wondered, why was “my feet” okay but not “the feet?” It was all so confusing. Keep in mind that I was only two or three years old at the time.

I must’ve gone a year or more agonizing over all this. Finally, I decided to ask my mom. After she explained it, it all made sense, except...

I still took issue with the fact that in saying they didn’t use the word, they used the word. In later years, I realized that from a songwriting standpoint, it was a great line—and still it bugged me. Still does.

Some of you may know that I like to record songs these days (in my “spare” time). A while back, I recorded the aforementioned song. Strangely, or ironically, I had a little difficultly with the recording equipment not cooperating during that session. But I’m patient, or stubborn, and I persevered (for several hours) until I got the song done. Why? Well, because “the feet” is one word I don’t use. ~


Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million. Bruce A. Borders is a proud member of Rave Reviews Book Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment