Monday, January 25, 2016

Nothing To Do

I’m not very good at doing nothing. I’m a person who likes to be busy; I build things, create things, or fix things. You know, be productive. Recently, I found out just how much it bothers me to do nothing. 

A couple of Fridays ago, I had a little trouble pulling a fifth-wheel release on my semi, as it was jammed with mud and gravel. Being a guy, my solution was to pull harder. And yes, that worked. Problem is, more than the fifth-wheel release gave way. My shoulder made a weird stretching sound and that was followed by a good dose of pain. With the shoulder getting worse over the weekend, by Monday I ended up at the emergency room. Either a torn rotator cuff or a torn muscle the doctor said. I’ll find out later this week when I get an MRI. Yay!

For now, I’m restricted to light duty at my job, which means I can’t drive. Instead, since there are no other jobs for me, I sit in my pickup for ten hours a night and write down truck and trailer numbers as they come in and out of the terminal. That’s about 20 - 25 trucks a night, which only takes about 15 minutes total. If I can still do math right, that leaves 9 hours and 45 minutes of free time.

Normally, this wouldn’t have been a problem; I would have spent the time writing a book. But with a right arm that won’t work, that became difficult. Sure, I can write fairly well with my left hand, and did so a lot while I was in school. But not having practiced much in the last thirty years, it no longer comes naturally. While I can do it, it’s slow, very slow, and that doesn’t really work well for writing. By the time I get a few words written down, the rest of my thought is gone.

And since the Internet doesn’t like to work very well at my job, doing anything online was not really an option. That doesn’t leave much to do while confined to my pickup in the dark. I can’t build things, create things, or fix things.

So, I downloaded a few games to my tablet and spent ten hours a day playing games. A most unproductive way to spend my time. At the end of the week, I had absolutely nothing to show for it. Nothing! Not even at home. That has to be the first time I’ve accomplished a week’s worth of nothing in my life!

The good news is the arm and shoulder are getting better. I can now move my arm almost like a normal person! Still can’t lift anything but I can feel it getting stronger every day. By the time I have my MRI, I am hoping I’m already well on my way to recovery.

So, what’s my point? Well, as anyone who reads my blog may know, I am sort of a jack-of-all trades. That doesn’t mean I’m a pro at everything but I can usually do it well enough to work. Which sometimes leads to people asking if there’s anything I can’t do. And now I can honestly answer, “Nothing.” ~

Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook and paperback on iTunes, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, and Smashwords.  Amazon Profile - www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS. Bruce A. Borders is a proud member of Rave Reviews Book Club.

______________________________



Current Reads






No comments:

Post a Comment