Monday, April 20, 2015

1985

Thirty years ago, this week, my wife and I had our first date! Don’t worry, I’ll spare you the details as I’m sure it was only exciting to us. Besides, I’m not entirely convinced I want to divulge any of those details!

Despite this being our grand moment, it was pretty much a non-event to the world. There was no fanfare, no streamers, and no marching band, although I do remember playing a couple of songs on the jukebox at the pizza parlor. But the reality was, no one cared that we were there. No one knew us, and so the fact that we were starting a life-long journey together didn’t seem to matter to them. No one knew that we’d stay together. No one knew we’d eventually get married. And certainly, no one knew that thirty years later I’d be writing about it. Not that it mattered really, we didn’t need anyone to validate our momentous occasion. We managed to make it fine on our own. And I for one, am quite happy about it, even thirty years later. No word on my wife’s opinion since I can’t speak for her. But I think she’s still at least okay with the idea.

Hey, I can pretend can’t I?

Actually, thirty years later, life is good. Even amid the hectic schedule we maintain, life is good. And it’s fun to look back on how it all came to be. And remember the days when we actually had time to spend together.

The other day, on one of those rare occasions of spending time together, we stopped at a pizza place and I noticed a young couple who were obviously on a date. I have no idea if it was their first date or not but they seemed oblivious to the rest of the goings-on so, I’m thinking it might have been. Now, maybe they won’t end up together. But then again, maybe they will. And maybe in thirty years they’ll be looking back and, just maybe, they’ll remember the guy in the black cowboy hat who noticed them. Or, not. Doesn’t really matter, I suppose. It didn’t for my wife and I. But on second thought, perhaps people did notice us. Perhaps back then, we were the ones who were oblivious to the rest of the world. Like the couple I saw. Hard to say though, after all, that was thirty years ago.

And now, a personal note: Happy First-Date Anniversary, Brenda!

Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook and paperback on iTunes, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, and Smashwords, or at www.bruceabordersbooks.weebly.com. Amazon Profile - http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS. Bruce A. Borders also serves as the Vice-President of Rave Reviews Book Club.


______________________________



Current Reads




No comments:

Post a Comment