Monday, April 7, 2014

The Birthday Conundrum

The problem with birthdays is, they tend to make you older. The problem with not having birthdays is, well, I’m sure you can figure that out. Having birthdays, or not having them, one thing is for certain; no one is getting any younger. Profound, I know!

As you may have guessed, last week, I celebrated another anniversary of the day of my birth. (You really can only ever have one actual birthday).

My son called to wish me a happy birthday, and like many others, asked if I felt older – and that got me to thinking. I know, we’re all in trouble when I start the process of pondering these things! The answer to his question was no, I didn’t really feel older. I don’t really consider myself to be old. And that sometimes leads to problems.

How could that be a problem?

Well, I still think of myself as 20 years old, and still think I can do all the things I did then. And keep up the same life-style. There are still 24 hours in the day and I like to stay busy, oh, about 24 of them. My brain and body used to cooperate but lately, it’s a different story. Now, there is a war of sorts. My brain says, “Who needs sleep? Go for it.” But the rest of me has started objecting. So, while I may think I’m 20, at times my body feels like it’s pushing 80. That is definitely a problem.

So, I guess the full answer to the question is, I don’t feel older – it’s hard to feel older when you already feel 80!

But I don’t think I could change – even if I wanted to. For me, any amount of time spent sleeping, or some other passive activity, is time wasted – nothing gets done. I’m pretty sure no one on their deathbed ever said, “I wish I would have slept more.” No, it’s usually that they wish they had done more. And so, that’s what I’m doing – more. I’m told it’s unhealthy and may shorten my life, that I could run short of birthdays. That may be true. As I mentioned, that is one of the problems with birthdays - when they run out.

I guess if I have my choice I’ll go with just getting older. Somehow though, I don’t think it’s up to me. On one hand, I might see well over a hundred birthdays. Or, maybe I’ll be the first to say, “I should have slept more.”


___________________________________________


Current Read
Connor
by Dormaine G


SPOTLIGHT Author

Angelia Vernon Menchan
Soul Ties

_________________________________________

Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook and paperback on Apple®, Amazon®, Barnes & Noble, Kobo®, Diesel Books®, and Smashwords®, or at www.bruceabordersbooks.weebly.com. Bruce A. Borders also serves as the Vice President of Rave Reviews Book Club http://ravereviewsbynonniejules.wordpress.com



No comments:

Post a Comment