Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Collector

Being a guy who rarely throws anything away, it’s quite natural that I’d be a collector. That has a much better ring to it than hoarder, I think. My career as a collector began early in life, when like a lot of young boys I decided that I needed to collect things – anything and lots of things. Like what, you ask? Priceless works of art and antiques? Not hardly. I’m more of an average guy. My collections were not exactly junk though; I saved things like stamps, coins, candles, and fish eyes. Really! I kept them in a plastic bag on my windowsill. At least until my mother found them. I came home from school one day and no longer had my fish eye collection.

As I grew older, the types of things I collected changed. Belt buckles, hats, Johnny Cash albums, and books. I still have most of my collections, except for the fish eyes, I’ve hauled them all over the country as I’ve moved, boxes and boxes of stuff. These days, I don’t really collect that much anymore. I have enough junk, I think – at least that’s what my wife tells me.

At some point, I’ll have to go through and sort all my treasures, I suppose. Maybe see if any of my stamps or coins are worth anything. Because, there is one thing I do still collect – dollars!

Bruce A. Borders, author and songwriter has over 500 songs and more than a dozen books. Over My Dead Body, The Journey, and Miscarriage Of Justice, his latest books, are available on Apple I-Pad®, Amazon Kindle®, Barnes & Noble Nook® and Sony Reader®, Kobo, Diesel Books, and Smashwords. For more information, visit www.bruceaborders.com. See Bruce’s Amazon Author Page at www.amazon.com/author/bruceaborders or view his Smashwords Profile at www.smashwords.com/profile/view/BruceABorders

No comments:

Post a Comment