Monday, June 11, 2012

Island Getaway

This week marks the twenty-fifth anniversary for me and my wife. We celebrated the event by taking a trip - a weeklong trip. Sounded like a great idea when we planned it but, well, let me start at the beginning.

We got up Saturday morning at 6:30, (that's way too early), had breakfast and then rode with our daughter to the airport. We checked in, made it through security, and boarded the plane, all without incident. So far, so good, right? Then, things went south.

A Boeing 767 transported us 1000's of miles to the middle of the Pacific Ocean where we are now stuck on an island. Stranded. Marooned. Isolated from the rest of the world. I have now gone literally hours without Internet service!

So far, we've managed to find shelter and enough food. No tidal waves have come swooping over the island either. We were lucky and managed to locate all of our luggage - and it was intact!  Even better news is that the natives haven't tried to kill us so evidently, they're not cannibals. In fact, they've treated us very nice - almost like guests on their island. They seem to think life is great here, but then, they live here. To me, it seems a bit more like a real life episode of Gilligan's Island! I'm just not sure which character I'm playing - hopefully not Gilligan. I'd like to think the professor best represents me, and I do have some evidence to support that - after all, I did find a way to connect to the Internet! Maybe I need to work on a way to get us off the island and back home. I'll let you know if I make any progress.

Actually, we are having a great time in Hawaii. The weather is nice, sunny and 85 degrees. The place is not overrun with people, which is good for someone who doesn’t like big crowds, and I don't have to go to work! The food is delicious and our room on the 20th floor provides a great view.

Still, being thousands of miles from home on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, is a little distressing for home-loving country boy. But I believe I have arranged for us to be "rescued" and taken back to the mainland next week. Maybe in twenty-five years, for our 50th Anniversary, we'll try Alaska.

Bruce A. Borders, author and songwriter has over 500 songs and more than a dozen books. Over My Dead Body, The Journey, and Miscarriage Of Justice, his latest books, are available on Apple I-Pad®, Amazon Kindle®, Barnes & Noble Nook® and Sony Reader®, Kobo, Diesel Books, and Smashwords. For more information, visit http://www.bruceaborders.com/. See Bruce’s Amazon Author Page at www.amazon.com/author/bruceaborders or view his Smashwords Profile at www.smashwords.com/profile/view/BruceABorders

No comments:

Post a Comment