Monday, January 16, 2012

Do I Know You?

The older I get, the more people I see who look, sound, or act like someone I know. Or, to be more accurate, someone I used to know. Of course, this leads to me studying them intently – as opposed to staring, which I’ve heard is impolite – trying to figure out exactly what it is that reminds me of the other person, or sometimes, who the other person even is.

I’m not sure if this phenomenon is because I know, or have known, a lot of people or a result of my own overactive imagination. Both perhaps.

You can probably see the problems this creates, when complete strangers notice my sudden interest in them. They look back at me like I’m a stalker, or Jack The Ripper. Talk about impolite! Yet, even amid their glaring stares, I can’t seem to let it go. Not until I know who, what, when, how, and why. A little OCD? Maybe.

I’m not completely irrational - yet. So far, I’ve managed to keep my wife and other family members straight. Although, my children do tend to remind me of a younger version of their parents at times. That can be good or bad.

So, if you see me lost in thought, looking right at you as if I don’t know who you are, pay me no mind. I’m not stalking you, and unless I’ve just caught you breaking into my house or something, I have no designs on bringing about your early demise. It may be that you look strangely familiar. And I might simply be trying to decide whether you remind me of someone or if I actually know you.

Bruce A. Borders, author and songwriter has over 500 songs and 9 books. Over My Dead Body, and The Journey, his latest books, are available on Apple I-Pad®, Amazon Kindle®, Barnes & Noble Nook® and Sony Reader®, Kobo, Diesel Books, and Smashwords. For more information, visit http://www.bruceaborders.com/. See Bruce’s Amazon Author Page at www.amazon.com/author/bruceaborders or view his Smashwords Profile at www.smashwords.com/profile/view/BruceABorders

No comments:

Post a Comment