Sunday, April 14, 2019

Don't Move!


Here’s some helpful advice if you plan on moving — don’t. I know, that’s never really an option. And even if it were, most people who are planning to move are not concerned with anything other than wanting to move. But, fair warning, it’s a lot of work.

I’m not talking about the actual moving of the furniture and other possessions from one house to another. That’s a little work but  it’s not the half of it. The work isn’t even in the packing of everything; it’s putting it all away in the new place.

First, you don’t know where anything is going to go and then when that is finally determined, multiple boxes and other items have to be moved seventeen times to get things situated. Not to mention the unpacking and sorting, and then the disposal of all the boxes and packing material. Then there is the cleaning of the old house, the new house (numerous times) and dealing with all the broken or damaged things. And the list goes on and on.

It sounds like I’m getting ready to tell you that I moved recently, but that’s not the case. I did, however, help my parents move this past weekend. It went very well, as far as getting everything to the new house. We had lots of help and got it done in a single day. Then, we all left, leaving my Mom and Dad to do the real work of arranging their new house, opening fifty or sixty boxes and finding a place for the contents, hanging pictures and mirrors, cleaning, and all the rest.

We tried to sort things a little before we left but my Mom’s kitchen was pretty jumbled, as was my Dad’s study. In fact, I don’t think there was a single room that had much semblance of order. I’m thinking it’ll take them a month or better to get things sorted out.

Moving takes a LOT of work.

And I should know. Having lived in over thirty houses in my 52 years, and being involved in countless efforts to move other people, I have an extensive experience in moving. I guess you could say I’m an expert — of sorts. So, while my wife and I would like to move out of town someday, my good sense and expertise says (as I advised above) don’t do it. But we all know how well people take advice. ~


Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million.

No comments:

Post a Comment