Monday, February 12, 2018

Mileage May Vary, Or Not

Time for a new pair of boots. Seems I’ve walked holes in the soles—again. Boots typically last me about a year. Been that way for most of my life. And it doesn’t seem to matter what brand I buy, I get about a year out of them. It’s been a little longer than that this time but only by a month or so.

To a lot of folks, a year may not seem that long for footwear to wear out, but most people do not wear one pair continuously. I do. I own just a single pair of boots at a time. I wear them every day no matter where I’m going or what I’m doing, from the time I get up until the time I go to bed.

I’ve often wondered just what sort of “mileage” I get with my boots and now, thanks to the Heart app on my phone I can see exactly how far I walk each day, week, month, or year. And since I always wear the same boots, I know that every step, every mile recorded was taken in those boots.

What I’ve found is that I walk an average of about 3,600 steps per day. That’s around 1.5 miles, which translates to 547.5 miles per year. While that seems like a lot of walking, (to me) I know it’s nowhere close to the recommended 10,000 steps, or 5 miles, per day.

But really, that amount of walking is just not feasible for me. No, not because I don’t have time, or that I’m a truck driver and we don’t like walking, or the fact that I’m old. No, the reason I can’t walk more than I do is simple. My boots just couldn’t take it. They’d never make to the year mark because apparently, I’m only getting about 550 miles to the pair. ~


Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million. Bruce A. Borders is a proud member of Rave Reviews Book Club.

______________________________


Current Reads





No comments:

Post a Comment