Monday, May 25, 2015

The Joys Of Truck Driving

First, the bad news: I’m writing this blog post from the side of the road at 3:30 am. I hit a deer with the semi and it took out the radiator, and the bumper, and the grille. Another driver is on his way to get the trailer and a tow truck is coming to take the tractor. And hopefully, they arrive in that order. Since the other driver is my ride back to the terminal, I’d really like him to get here first. Otherwise, I’ll be sitting on the side of the freeway—literally—or, standing, I suppose. In any event, with no vehicle, the freeway doesn’t sound like a fun place to be.

I could have gotten a ride earlier but company policy says the driver must remain with the vehicle until it is picked up. That way if someone comes along and runs into the truck, the driver will be sure to be injured! (Yeah, it doesn’t make much sense to us either). But if the tow truck hasn’t arrived by the time the next driver gets here, I’ll be leaving the tractor sit all by it’s lonesome.

Now, the good news: It was the semi that got damaged, not my pickup, and I’m still getting paid. So, I hit a deer and get three hours of extra pay! Not a bad deal. Only thing is, I have to sit here with nothing to do for, well, three hours.

I’ve hit deer before but it never really dawned on me that my job description included hunting! I should do this more often! It’s a much cheaper way to hunt. Unfortunately however, there will be no venison going in my freezer. Deer do not tend to fare well after being run over by a semi and from the looks of the right side of my trailer, I got him with the full length of the truck.

Oh, just got some great news! I’ve been informed that I have about another forty-five minutes to wait. So, with nothing better to do, I think I’ll take a nap. Maybe. As long as nobody runs into the back end of my trailer!

Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook and paperback on iTunes, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, and Smashwords, or at www.bruceabordersbooks.weebly.com. Amazon Profile - http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS. Bruce A. Borders also serves as the Vice-President of Rave Reviews Book Club.


______________________________



Current Reads




No comments:

Post a Comment