Monday, February 25, 2019

Back In School


You’re never too old to learn — as my grandson pointed out to me the other day. He was explaining to me that three times 20 is 60, to which I agreed. But my agreement was not enough, he wanted to make sure that I actually understood WHY it was so. Now, keep in mind this is coming from a five-year-old so the logic may be a little convoluted.

He said, “If you have twenty and you add another twenty that makes forty. But that’s not sixty because you only had two of them. If you add another twenty to the first twenty and the other twenty, that makes sixty because now you have three of them.”

I nodded and told him he was right.

But he wasn’t finished. “It’s like if you add one and one.”

Now I frowned. “Not quite the same.”

He kept talking as if he hadn’t heard. “If you keep doing that, you’ll get to sixty — eventually.” (That last word was added with a roll of the eyes and a bit of sarcasm).

I had to agree again. But I told him I wasn’t going to just add one number at a time all the way to sixty because that would take too long.

He looked at me as if I wasn’t quite all there. “That’s why you just add twenty three times.”

“Oh,” I said.

He seemed satisfied he’d successfully explained the math problem to me but then felt compelled to continue our “lessons.” He asked, “Do you know what half of one is?”

“Um, half?” I asked, playing along.

He looked surprised. “Yes, one half.”

I said, “So how many halves does it take to make two?”

“Grandpa, you just have to add halves until you get to two.”

“That’s true,” I said. “But how many would I have to add to get to two?”

Sighing, he said, “I think you’re going to have to study some more. But don’t worry, you’re never too old to learn.”

Well that’s good news, I thought. At least he has confidence in me. “So, you don’t think I’m too old to learn?”

He shook his head. “Remember? I just taught you how much three twenties are.”

Well, okay then. I guess it’s true; you’re never too old to learn! However, you may be too young to teach! ~

Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million.

No comments:

Post a Comment