Monday, December 3, 2018

Home For The Holidays

It’s that time of year again. Christmas music is playing in stores. My neighbors have begun decorating, stringing lights, uprooting (or maybe cutting) trees and dragging them into their houses, and shopping is becoming next to impossible due to the sudden influx of Christmas shoppers.

It’s the time of year when I like to stay home. Just avoid the whole mess of crowded streets and parking lots as well as the hoards of people. Yet, in spite of my misgivings, I find myself needing things and end up heading to the store. And then wonder why I did.

This past week I waited in line for what seemed like half an hour. It probably wasn’t that long but as a guy who is always in a hurry, wasting time in a checkout line is a little annoying. Especially when it’s unnecessary. When it was finally my turn to checkout, the cashier asked if I’d found everything okay.

“No, I haven’t found my way home yet,” I said.

The response I got was rather interesting. “Do you need help finding your house?” the lady asked with a look of concerned pity.

Wondering how the lady planned to help me when she didn’t know where I lived, I shook my head. “Just need to get out of this crowded store and I’ll be fine,” I told her.

Again she gave me a strange look, sort of frowning at what I had in my hand. I didn’t know the reason until I looked down at my hands.

While in line, I’d been messing with my phone and somehow had turned on the flashlight. As it was late in the afternoon and dark outside, I guess the lady thought I really was having a hard time finding my way home. Or maybe she just thought I suffered from dementia, I don’t know.

I paid for my items and headed to the door. I noticed the lady still watching me so just to give her something to worry about; I paused in the doorway and turned my flashlight back on. As I left, the song blaring from the speakers was I’ll Be Home For Christmas. Hopefully, I thought. As long as I can find my way with this flashlight! ~


Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million. 

No comments:

Post a Comment