Monday, August 20, 2018

Sure As Shooting

A couple of months ago, my wife went to visit our son while I stayed behind to man the fort at home. (Which really means I stayed home to take care of the dogs). While there, my son took his mother to a shooting range where she had the opportunity to fire an M4 fully automatic rifle. And I was jealous! Sort of. I wrote a blog post about it and said I needed to plan another trip myself. (If you missed the post, you can read it here).

Actually, I was happy she’d gotten the chance to go shooting with him but since I’d never experienced firing an automatic rifle, I was itching to schedule my next visit. That trip was this past weekend. And yes, I did get to go shooting! And yes, I shot the M4!

I know, it probably doesn’t sound all that exciting to some, but I liked it. I’d like to say that I was an instant expert but sadly, that is not the case. I did manage to fire two rounds into the ceiling though, thanks to not being able to see through the fogged up glasses. My aim improved dramatically after wiping the glasses off!

I’ve shot many different guns, rifles, handguns, big and small, but all were either single-shot or semi-automatics. Never an automatic. So, this was quite different. And fun! And now I think I need to purchase one of my own. Yes, despite the general misconception, a guy CAN buy a fully automatic rifle; all it takes is a few dollars—a few thousand dollars that is. Twenty ought to do it. That’s not too much to spend on a gun is it? After all, we spend more than that on a car that only lasts a few years, so...

On second thought, I could just make another trip to see my son and we could perhaps go shooting again. Probably a smarter choice since that wouldn’t cost anywhere near twenty thousand dollars! But then, it’s just money. It’s not like I’m going to need it for anything else. Well, maybe to pay my bills... and buy food... and gas... and—it looks like I’ll be headed to my son’s house again. ~

Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million. 

No comments:

Post a Comment