Sunday, January 7, 2018

On Second Thought

Well, the year has gotten off to a great start—most of the snow is gone and temperatures are warmer. A few more weeks and winter will be gone!

But as I was told by my grandson, Christmas will be back. This was after he sadly lamented that only a little Christmas remained, pointing to the scattered remnants of snow piles. I guess that is winter’s one redeeming aspect—Christmas, because it makes all the kids happy. Not sure if that makes up for all the cold, snow, icy roads and the like but it does help.

He also informed me that I do not need to wait for Christmas to give him gifts. I could do that any time of the year, he said. He just turned four so he thinks everyone else in the world exists to do his bidding!

We were taking a walk across a bridge and looking down, I saw an acorn. I picked it up and handed it to him. “Here’s a gift,” I said.

“What is it?”

When I told him it was an acorn, he shook his head. “That’s not an acorn, it doesn’t have the top.” (The cap had fallen off).

“It’s still an acorn,” I said.

“Will it still make an oak tree?” he wanted to know. So much for explaining the acorn turning into a tree to him! Apparently, he already knows this.

“Maybe.” I was hesitant to give him a definite answer. He’d plant it and something would kill it off and then he’d blame me for not having his tree.

He was shaking his head again. “I don’t think it will. It’s broken.”

“That doesn’t matter,” I said. “It’s what on the inside that counts.”

He didn’t answer for a little bit. Finally, he says, “Grandpa, you can just wait until Christmas and then buy me a gift.” Guess he wasn’t impressed.

Think I’ll wrap an acorn for him for next Christmas. One with the top still attached, of course. ~


Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, The Lana Denae Mysteries, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook at www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS and paperback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million. Bruce A. Borders is a proud member of Rave Reviews Book Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment