Sunday, February 2, 2014

Memory Bank

One of my earliest memories is of my first bank, a piggy bank. I was two years old so forgive me if I can’t recall all of the details - like where I got it. In my mind, it seems like my Grandpa gave it to me but I’m not really sure, he may have just been there and my brain associated the bank with him.

Now, I’ll describe what I do know. The bank was indeed a pig, but not a pink one. It was green - almost a fluorescent green. Made out of thin plastic, it was small enough to hold in one hand; about three inches long by two inches tall, and maybe an inch and a half thick. So, it didn’t hold a lot of money. But that was okay; I didn’t have a lot of money! (Hmm, that should have been a clue - some things never change).

I couldn’t wait to deposit my money and soon stuffed it full of pennies. I left the pennies in there for what seemed like an eternity, but knowing how kids view time it was probably no more than a few days. At some point, I decided I wanted to make a withdrawal - and that presented a problem. The only opening was the small slot on the top, and being jammed full of pennies, the bank was not real cooperative when it came to parting with my stash. Of course, this was a little upsetting to me.

But apparently, my stubborn streak started long ago; I wasn’t about to give up. That was my money and I wanted it back! Time to rob a bank!

This was the longest and most drawn out bank robbery in history. I worked for what seemed like an eternity, holding the green little pig upside down and shaking. And shaking. And more shaking. It was a slow process but eventually a few pennies fell out. And then a few more, as I shook more vigorously.

When the bank was finally empty, I stared at the offending little pig for a minute or so and then clinched my fist tight around it. The flimsy plastic crumpled (with a bit of help from the other hand) and I had an instant feeling of satisfaction. I thought I was He-Man! Well, maybe not, I’m sure I hadn’t heard of He-Man at that point of my life. But I did feel mighty powerful and strong - I had crushed a bank!

The other day, I was reading a news story about a bank in some small country locking their doors and preventing depositors from withdrawing their money. Naturally, the people who lost their savings were angry - and I don’t blame them. I wouldn’t like it either. I’m no longer two years old and my bank isn’t a green piggy bank, but if my financial institution were trying to steal my money... My reaction may be similar to what it was way back then.

RAVE REVIEWS BOOK CLUB


Featured Selection
Daydream’s Daughter, Nightmare’s Friend
by Nonnie Jules

_______________________________


Katie Hayoz


Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books. Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, and other titles, are available as ebooks on Apple I-Pad®, Amazon Kindle®, Barnes & Noble Nook® and Sony Reader®, Kobo, Diesel Books, and Smashwords. His books are also available in paperback at most online retailers or at www.bruceabordersbooks.weebly.com. The popular Wynn Garrett Series Books are now available on Barnes And Noble® at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?series_id=867526 Bruce also serves as the Vice President of Rave Reviews Book Club http://ravereviewsbynonniejules.wordpress.com


No comments:

Post a Comment