Monday, March 23, 2015

Chop Chop

I’ve mentioned before that I like to do things myself rather than pay someone else to do them. As a jack of all trades, I wear a lot of hats. Some would say, Jack of all trades, master of none. That’s okay. I don’t have to be a master at everything. As long as I can do it well enough to work, that’s all that matters. Admittedly, sometimes, there is a learning curve associated with such an approach.

I’ve been told that it would be easier, and faster, to just call a professional. Well, the way I look at it is, even the professional had to learn. And if they can learn the job, whatever it is, then so can I. I may not be as skilled or proficient as a pro but, I can usually get the job done, and done right.

And all of this is why I haven’t paid for a haircut in more than twenty years. I just cut it myself. I used to go to a shop, but it always bugged me to pay for something so simple. So, one day, I grabbed a pair of scissors and started snipping. I found it wasn’t that difficult.

Except this was back when I was a lot younger. Back then, my hair had to be close to perfect, which meant feathered and styled. I learned pretty fast how to make it look right although those first few haircuts did not exactly turn out the best! But, as my dad used to tell me, the difference in a good haircut and a bad one is about three days. (He used to cut his own hair too). He was right, as usual.

Eventually, I got tired of the hour or more a haircut took and purchased a set of clippers. Wasting time is one of my biggest pet peeves. Now, a haircut takes about five minutes—unless I’m in a hurry, then I can shave off a minute or so. And this method is much easier. I just buzz all my hair off and then let it grow out. Fewer haircuts now, too. Not sure why I wasted all that time cutting my hair every two weeks when I was younger. Proving I could do it, I suppose. But why it mattered is still a bit of a mystery. It’s not like anyone ever saw it. Then, as now, I’m usually wearing a hat.

Bruce A. Borders is the author of more than a dozen books, including: Inside Room 913, Over My Dead Body, The Journey, Miscarriage Of Justice, and The Wynn Garrett Series. Available in ebook and paperback on iTunes, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, and Smashwords, or at www.bruceabordersbooks.weebly.com. Amazon Profile - http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-A.-Borders/e/B006SOLWQS. Bruce A. Borders also serves as the Vice-President of Rave Reviews Book Club.

______________________________




Gillie Bowen

F. P. SPIRIT

SPOTLIGHT Author

Kathryn R. Biel



No comments:

Post a Comment